Lick Mat Guide: What They Are, How to Use Them, and Why They're The Best!
Lick mats are excellent for keeping dogs entertained, mentally stimulated, and well-behaved. Whether you have a new puppy or an adult dog, a lick mat can be valuable to your dog's enrichment routine. From promoting dental health to reducing anxiety, lick mats offer many benefits for dogs of all ages and sizes. So, if you're looking for a new way to keep your dog entertained and mentally stimulated, a lick mat might be the perfect solution!
WHAT IS A LICK MAT?
A lick mat for dogs is a small, flat mat designed to be used with a spreadable treat, such as peanut butter. The dog is encouraged to lick the treat off the mat, providing them with a fun and interactive way to enjoy their snack. Lick mats can be used as a form of enrichment for dogs, helping to keep them mentally stimulated and engaged. They can also be used to distract dogs during grooming or veterinary appointments or as a tool for training and behaviour modification. Lick mats are easy to clean and are made of durable materials that can withstand a dog's rough tongue.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF LICK MATS
Lick mats are a great way to keep dogs entertained and mentally stimulated. They can also be used as a tool for training and behaviour modification. Some benefits of lick mats for dogs include:
- Dental health: Lick mats can help to promote dental health by encouraging dogs to chew and lick, which can help to remove plaque and tartar from their teeth.
- Mental stimulation: Lick mats provide a fun and interactive way for dogs to engage their minds and keep them mentally stimulated.
- Training and behaviour modification: Lick mats can be used to teach dogs new behaviours and modify unwanted behaviours.
- Calming effects: Lick mats can help dogs relax and de-stress.
- Treats Dispenser: Lick mats can be filled with treats or foods like peanut butter; this can be a great way to get dogs to eat their food or take their medication.
- Time-consuming: Licking can take a lot of time. This can be a great way to keep dogs occupied and prevent boredom.
- Improves digestion and slows down eating: Licking generates saliva and contains digestive enzymes that help dogs process their food. It also slows down eating - and eating slower reduces the chance of stomach upset and vomiting.
Overall, lick mats can be a great addition to a dog's training and enrichment routine and can provide many benefits for the dog and the owner.
FOODS TO USE ON A LICK MAT:
- Wet Food
- Yogurt (Plain)
- Peanut Butter
- Minced Meat
- Pureed Vegetables
- Mashed Banana
- Apple sauce
- Cooked oatmeal
- Kong easy treat
- Pumpkin Puree
WHEN TO USE A LICK MAT
Lick mats can be a great tool for dogs of all ages and sizes, but there are certain situations in which they can be especially useful. Here are a few examples of when you may want to use a lick mat for your dog:
- During mealtimes: Lick mats can be filled with food or treats, making them a great way to get picky eaters to finish their meals.
- When training or modifying behaviour: Lick mats can be used as a reward during training sessions or to redirect a dog's attention when engaging in unwanted behaviour.
- When your dog is feeling anxious or stressed: Licking can have a calming effect on dogs, so a lick mat can be a great way to help your dog relax and de-stress.
- When your dog is alone or left alone for long periods: Lick mats can be a great way to keep dogs occupied and mentally stimulated when they are alone, preventing boredom and reducing the risk of destructive behaviour.
- During grooming: Lick mats can be used to keep dogs occupied and relaxed during grooming sessions, making the experience more pleasant for both the dog and the groomer.
- When your dog is recovering from an injury or surgery: Lick mats can be a great way to provide mental stimulation and a sense of normalcy for dogs recovering from an injury or surgery.
It's important to remember that lick mats should be used under supervision, and make sure to clean them regularly as lick mats can harbor bacteria and can be harmful if not cleaned properly.